What to Know About Denver’s New Notice Requirements
Effective January 1, 2022, the City and County of Denver is requiring landlords to execute written leases with their tenants, and to provide a copy of the “Denver Tenant Rights & Resources” to any tenant who 1) signs a new lease or 2) is served a rent demand.
The “Denver Tenant Rights & Resources” (Tenant Rights) provides information on the eviction process for tenants, as well as listing their rights and the resources available to them. If you have a property in Denver, you must attach a copy of this five-page Tenant Rights document to all rent demands. You must also provide a copy of this document to all tenants signing new leases on or after January 1, 2022. Failure to comply could result in a municipal violation and a possible tenant defense in any eviction proceeding in Denver.
Our attorneys have provided some practical advice for implementing this new rule:
- If you have already served a rent demand this month without the “Denver Tenant Rights & Resources” document, you need to re-serve it with the document attached. Please use our demand packet (either the 10-day or 30-day) available below and on our website.
- If you have served a rent demand this month and you did provide the “Denver Tenant Rights & Resources,” please fill out this Return of Service and send it to our office with the expired demand for processing the eviction.
- If you are serving a rent demand, the demand as well as the “Denver Tenant Rights & Resources” must be printed out and posted for the tenant.
- You can provide the “Denver Tenant Rights & Resources” document to tenants in electronic form, but only when executing leases, not rent demands.
- You must provide a written lease to a tenant within seven days for all new tenancies that exceed 30 days
The most current version of these forms are available on our website under “Eviction Forms.”
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please include the directional (N, S, E, W) when filling out the address on your rent demands, as the sheriff will not complete a physical eviction without it. Keep in mind that North (N) is no longer implied in an address.